Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hard work ahead

Alas as time goes on I realize the big job ahead of me. It's daunting at best. As one sister said, "you are trying to do something bigger than yourself." I guess I am. But really is it? Is anything bigger than the person trying to do it? Or, is it rather those around him or her that holds the key. No president was ever elected on his own talents, and abilities, no people helped him or her.

I am not running for president, I am involved in the humble cause of trying to put together an organization for Muslim nurses. Women like myself who go to work each day surrounded by people who question their presence, their abilities, and their loyalty. Some may say that I go to far, that it isn't like that at all. For some it probably is. But those women who enter the workforce wearing Hijab, and clearly standing for her religion, not against anyone but for her religion, she is the forerunner. She is identifiable readily identifiable. She can at the drop of a hat be singled out for award or denigration.

There are more muslim nurses in the South bay than in the East bay and I am hoping that soon they will step up and join us. This is not an endeavor that has anything to do with race, nationality or place of origin. I am hoping that for once we can all work together to make this work without division. So until that day happens I will be sitting here working away at this impossible task alone, or with the help of other good sisters. But I will be working. My husband comes and checks in occasionally and asks, "how are things going?" I always tell him, "fine, fine
al humdulilah" I won't let him see me defeated or sad.

3 comments:

Nurse2be said...

As a Muslimah studying to be a nurse, this idea is exciting, A place where muslims can unite for the great cause of helping people. May Allah reward you with the highest blessings.
Salaam

Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaikom, well I am a Muslimah alhamdulilah who is going into nursing school this coming semester insha'Allah. I converted to Islam about 6 years ago and have been wearing full hijab for at least 4. That means I either wear an abaya or a blouse and a long flowing skirt with my scarf. So, naturally the dress code was the first issue I had to face as a nursing student. What I decided to do is buy a white knee-length scrub dress to wear over a long-sleeved white shirt with teal scrub pants underneath and a white Amirah hijab. I'm a little nervous because I haven't run this by my nursing director, but she's seen me in my hijab many times and really what can she say? They have to accommodate my dress code; that's not being unreasonable. So, insha'Allah it will work out for me. That's my main concern as a Muslim nursing student. I'd like to know what other Muslim nurses wear. Teena

JM said...

May Allah bless you both in your work and schooling. I am his humble servant doing his bidding.
Thank you both for writing.